Babi (Grandma)

I really like this picture of grandma. It reminds me how life is changing. When we "got her" she was different but her mind always stayed youthful. Always.

This is maybe the hardest post I will write. I’ve never lost a person who I held so close to my heart. And last week I did. My grandma passed away and though it wasn’t a total surprise it was a total heartbreak.

I feel  blessed enormously that I had a grandmother till now, though this fact doesn’t smaller the loss a bit. We were so use to have her around cause we used to live together my grandparents and our family and as I look back to my childhood she was always a center of everything: our plays, our meals, our talks, even our heartbreaks.  Those who knew her admired her because of herbright sunny optimistic character. And she stayed like that till the end. She was a person who  tied up our family and I just loved our “woman’s coffee breaks” when she, my mum, sister and I gathered and shared our thoughts. Major problems were solved at that table and there was no problem that she wouldn’t knew “the exact same case”.

She had a gratest smile ever.

She had a gratest smile ever.

We really laughed a lot with her – and her laughter was really the best thing ever. When I thought of her yesterday my mind really started to wondering if I will ever be to my children, grand children and even grand grand children what she was to us. I think I have a major challenge in front of me. The words that was planted in me during the funeral was that with every loss of loved ones this world becomes a little bit stranger and eternity a bit closer and more familiar. Yes, the world truly seems a little foreigner,  today …

This entry was posted in Uncategorized.

9 Comments

1. Rebecca April 10, 2012 at 13:26 #

My heart is there with you Petra-so sorry for this loss. I see the family resemblance in those eyes and that smile. Bless you and your family. ;0)

2. Leanne April 10, 2012 at 13:45 #

Oh, Petra . . . I am so sorry for your loss, and for the passing of this amazing woman. I see the resemblance, too, in the eyes. What a beautiful soul she had. You and your family will be in my thoughts. Her spirit lives on in all of you. Sending you hugs from afar.

3. Paula April 10, 2012 at 15:48 #

Oh Petra, my heart is broken for you. What a beautiful tribute. Your Babi and words reming me so much of my great grandma who was from Hungary.
    Love to you and the biggest hug ever is coming across the pond.
    xop

4. Robin April 10, 2012 at 16:52 #

Dear Petra; we are sending you our thoughts and prayers. What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. Now you have a glorious guardian angel watching over you! Her spirit truly lives on, like Leanne said.
    Celebrate her life everyday!
    Hugs Robin oxox

5. Katja Zagorc April 10, 2012 at 21:22 #

Joj, draga Petra,

globoko sočustvujemo s teboj… Kako boleče so take izgube!

Čudovito si napisala. In prepričana sem, da boš tudi ti nekoč tisti čudoviti nepogrešljivi povezovalni člen svoje širše družine.

Drži se, mislimo nate!

vsi Zagorci

6. jacqueline April 11, 2012 at 03:27 #

Dearest sweet Petra, i am so sorry for your loss. Your grandmama reminded me of mine but i lost her at a very young age when i was 17. I know there is no words that will take away your pain but i feel you and understand this feeling. Sending you lots of love and prayers your way! Love to you!

7. Steph April 12, 2012 at 05:20 #

I’m so sorry Petra, she seemed like a strong, wise woman. This post is a beautiful tribute to her.

Sending you hugs,
    Stephanie

8. Petra April 12, 2012 at 10:05 #

Dear gals! Thank you so much for your thoughts. Yes, she was a strong woman born a year after 1st worlds war, giving births to her children during worlds 2 war and she also was in concentration camp when war came. And jet, she never weaped her destiny. She was very content with how much world changed. I could go on and on. The fact is I am missing her enormously.

9. Elizabeth April 12, 2012 at 10:31 #

Dear Petra, your grandma is beautiful, she was, she is and she will be beautiful because she will remain forever in your memories and in your heart. I loved reading this beautiful tribute. It reminds me of my mom who passed three years ago. I can relate to your challenge, I asked myself the same question every day, can I be for my sons and my grandchildren and for all the people who got to know her, what my mom was to every person near her? I have been confronted with the real meaning of love..for the past weeks and I think this is the answer. They will be missed, indeed, but the love they gave us will remain forever. Love is the answer. We must spread love, this will help us be like them .BTW I was missing you, so sorry I didn’t know you were in this sad experience. Hugs!!