Soul journey to the place where women create part 1

Last view of our country (yes, it's Triglav).

Last view of our country (yes, it's Triglav).

It is very easy to sit on your safety chair at your home and dreaming about all the nice things you would do if you had time, money, career, friends all over the world … For me to stood off my comfy chair and go to other side of the world to be closer to my dreams was a quite big deal.First of all – everybody who knows me, knows also  that I am afraid of flying. Seriously afraid and that is kind of s*** if you like traveling as I do, so usually I go and I suffer during the flight … But I always had someone with me for long distance flights. Not now, and I am so proud how I handled those flights to Minnesota for TCC event. Really – no grabbing to others people hands, no screaming and winning. I just sat there and watching movies and reading my book.

The view from my hotel vindow. Well, I have to say I haven't seen St. Paul much.

The view from my hotel window. Well, I have to say I haven't seen St. Paul much.

Second horrorI had to face was a fear of public speaking and showing my designs to be reviewed. And I attended Pitch Slams. Three of them, actually (for textile, gift and paper designer). Pitch Slams is the place where you present your work (I had to say I was preparing for this quite a long time) in front of the experts in certain field. And they tell you what is the best thing for you to do and if your ideas could hit the market or not. Presenting myself in English was also one of my concerns, cause I literally don’t speak and practice English every day. I write. I do not speak. And this is quite a difference.

A little peek at St. Paul during one of my "I need fresh air" moments.

A little peek at St. Paul during one of my "I need fresh air" moments.

And the third little self issue was: I am not very extroverted person. I like people. I like hanging out with my friends, but I am little shy when it comes to meeting unknown people. I haven’t really known anybody. O.k. I had a few FB artists friends there to meet, but otherwise I didn’t know a soul. I can just laugh now about that fear. It was a welcoming place to be. I will never forget a moment when I was waiting to register and Nancy Soriano came down the hall and she looked at me and I said: “Hi, I am Petra!” And she said: “OMG, you are Petra Kern! I know who you are. I am so glad, you’re here.” And she hugged me. I was so surprised that I just choked, but that was it – I knew in that moment that everything will be fine. And it was, better than fine.

The breakfast, the room, full of creative energy. Our passion is to create ...

The breakfast, the room, full of creative energy. Our passion is to create ...

I am really even now proceesing all the good vibrations, ideas, words, connections, experiences … Everything. I will write a little bit more about people I’ve met there. Kelly Rae said on the breakfast panel that she loved it here, because she can be crazy as crazy everybody is. I am still wondering why the energy was so positive and vibrating. I don’t know, but I hearted Jo Packhams words: “You know when people said for someone who had succeded in certain field ‘oh, he was at the right place at the right time.’? Well this is your place in this is your right time and these are your people …” I couldn’t agree more. I was among my people, peeps.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized.

10 Comments

1. Rebecca September 23, 2011 at 15:40 #

So awesome that you were able to do this…wow…so many fears to tackle all at once. I have a few of these fears as well, so bravo to you for doing this. Since I’ve “met” you I have been such a big fan of your work and I know this will lead to bigger things for you! Can’t wait to hear more ! :0)

• Petra September 23, 2011 at 20:55 #

Thanks Rebecca! Do you too have a proverb that says: From your mouth to Gods ears? 🙂

2. Liv @ Choosing Beauty September 23, 2011 at 18:27 #

Ha! That’s so funny, Petra – I had no idea you were tackling so many fears. You seemed so cool and calm to me! What a treat to spend all that time with you. 🙂

• Petra September 23, 2011 at 21:01 #

Liv that’s funny how we see other people 🙂 I got the same impression of you! Yes, woman, we are cool and calm ladies 🙂 indeed!

3. Katja Zagorc September 23, 2011 at 21:55 #

Petra, YOU ROCK!
    Can’t wait for part two… 😉
    We’re sooooo happy for you!

4. carrie harper September 23, 2011 at 23:27 #

Wow, what a wonderful story! My heart is racing because I can imagine the thrill of the whole experience. I hope I get to have it someday too….. be amongst my crazy people, the best kind of people!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

5. Elizabeth September 24, 2011 at 13:19 #

Hi Petra, I adore reading your post. You are so brave. I have mixed feelings right now…So so happy that you could make it to TCC and so sad because that was what I wanted for my birthday (in September) since last year but I couldn’t make it. I missed the opportunity to meet you an some of the other flyers. I feel a bit like you, because I am shy, too. I hope some day soon we can be in a creative activity together. I am a bit older but I have friends as old as my older son, including his wife. You are almost a new mother and I am a new grandmother but friendship has no age. I am also loving surface pattern. I used to sew in my younger years and designing fabric was a dream I thought was impossible. Now I know..maybe one day. I am working in my portfolio for SURTEX and I will adore to be there with you. Sending a hug to you and blessings to all!!

6. Paula Joerling September 27, 2011 at 16:16 #

So wish I could have been there! I knew you could do it Petra-I’m so proud of you!
    xop

7. kass hall October 1, 2011 at 01:12 #

Petra, we passed each other and smiled but we didn’t really talk at TCC and I wish we had – like you I can be a little shy! I flew from Australia and it was a long trip like yours, but it was worth it and your description is wonderful!! I hope your time at TCC brings MANY opportunities your way!

• Petra October 3, 2011 at 12:46 #

Kass, sooner or later we’ll talk. If not in person, we could always use beloved social media or skype 😉 I do remember you, btw, your super cool australian (I will go down under some day) accent was hard to miss 🙂