Friday memory: I commit!

Few weeks ago I run on this drawing I made more than quarter of┬á a century ago. I painted my sister (yes, sis, that’s you!).

The portrait of my sister I painted more than 25 years ago ­čÖé

This drawing reminded me how persistent and committed in creating I was back then, as a child. My memory still recalls very clearly times when l was sitting with my grandfather at the kitchen table and draw. He could draw me things I wanted him to draw for hours! We were such a great art group of two :)! And for us nothing else existed!

I wanted to share my first painting assignment. I had a blast!

These days I am keep bumping on word commitment. One wise guy said early this week that if you say: “I’ll try.” what’s you’re really saying is: “I am leaving my door opened for escape.” You should always say I’ll do it. And as a proof that there is no such thing as coincidence I was taught about the commitment in the first week of our painting e-course. I read an interview with Jennifer Sanchez and she spoke to me with this words: I eventually decided to take myself and painting seriously and made a commitment.

And the second one ...

I realized I took myself seriously more when I was a child. Than I took my brushes and I fully and truly commit to my first painting assignment when we had to paint a painting inspired from Gee’s Bend. And for hours I’ve forgot the time. I was committed just like I was as a child.

P.s. I wanted to share my first assignment when I literally overheard babys cry. Is this commitment or what?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , .

5 Comments

1. Paula Joerling February 4, 2011 at 13:55 #

So glad you made the commitment-your work is beautiful and inspiring.
    I also sat at the kitchen table and painted with my grandfather. He was my first inspiration.
    xopaula

• petra February 4, 2011 at 20:40 #

painting with grandfathers – the best time EVER!

2. Carrie Schmitt February 4, 2011 at 16:52 #

I love the story about you and your grandfather. I can imagine you sitting at the table together–what a special memory. And, I love the wise words about how “I’ll try” gives you a way out. I’ll have to remember that from now on and think about committing instead. Thanks for sharing these tidbits of wisdom and your paintings are AMAZING!!!!! So original and unique and I love the colors!

3. sonyamacdesigns February 5, 2011 at 13:43 #

such a special post … it’s so nice to rediscover who you always were.

4. Damjan February 19, 2011 at 23:35 #

The picture of your sister is simply beautiful, painted at your age of ten-eleven. I see you are remebering you early days at the time when you and my brother are celebrating begining of your lives. I thak God for both of you and wish you commited future.